Wednesday 20 January 2010

OK SAAB's Dream

I woke up this morning having dreamt about my OKSAAB blog.

To you guys I am sure you are thinking " so what "


For me remembering a dream has tremendous significance as only twice has this happened before. I wont go into the details as one was not the best outcome and the other well.....thats embarrassing !!

Only to say that on both occasions that following day was eventful.


Back to my dream.

I awoke having dreamt that the OKSAAB blog had become hugely successful,that in fact it was so successful it had been sindicated around the world. Advertizers clamoured to get space space on the OKSAAB blog.

SAAB was the "IN WORD " trendy and got to have.

The URL http://OKSAAB.blogspot.com appeared everywhere in emails and on the net.

500000 hits a day and both my own and Saabs future was secure !!!!


What is the significance and what events are about to unfold ?.........Damned if I know but it made me very happy I know that !!!!


Yesterday I chatted ( via messenger with an ex team mate from OPEL


I refer to him as ex because in the last year we have both separated and divorced.


3 years ago when I joined my current organization we were going into the GM Global world.

A huge programme management system was develeped specifically to run our part of the business.

Going global meant that as a global team we could effectively manage global programmes simultainiously in Korea, Australia,Europe and North America.

Global teams,Global decision boards,Global forums were put into place.

Metrics were regional and global.

It may sound too much and there were elements and processes I would have done differently, but it actually worked !!!



I had European responsibility which meant my team was both in Opel and Saab at the same time resulting in extensive travel. I enjoyed it and miss it.

Miss the colleagues and the multinational aspect.


Our delivery on time was as good as it gets and we were empowered and accountable with given boundries.


The process was so successful that it was wound down.

Our boss in North America decided to retire.

The system was shut down and we went from global to regional and now back to SAAB.


One message was loud and clear in my chat with my ex.


Its no easier right now for the guys at OPEL. Moral is low


What OPEL have to their advantage are 4 very key factors


  1. GM need a volume car manufacturer in Europe to stay in the global game

  2. A strong leader in Nick Reilly - That is NOT to say that JAJ is not a strong leader only that he has a track record of saving GM's arse in Korea.

  3. Strong unions that WILL stand and fight yet make the right concessions

  4. Finaly a strong goverment nationally and regionally that puts hard cash on the table to keep their auto industry alive.

As we know OPEL is not the strongest brand name in Germany .


SAAB on the other hand has the brand name but misses the other 4 elements. It has passion and passionate followers that OPEL or indeed any other manufacturer that I know of will never have.


Back to my dream


Remembering my dream has made me very upbeat. So much so that I changed the blogs name to simply OKSAAB as the previous title sounded so negative.


I am going to go to bed quite early tonight ( unless news breaks today ) and see if I can dream some more.




No comments:

Post a Comment