Tuesday 8 December 2009

Tuesday 8 December

" Business as usual " at least that is what my boss says and he's right. There is however an ironic twist to the phrase.
I am here at 06.00 as usual - a lifelong working habit
The feeling and overall atmosphere is surreal. My department colleagues and in all respects the company as a a whole is running headlong into the abyss and " its business as usual ".

Thats ok it takes your mind off what awaits in the abyss. !!

Production continues as normal , we plan meetings for January and beyond, we start projects that take us way into next year as if everything is going to be OK and that this was just a nightmare ....which it is.

There is definately a nervous tension, with the spoken word that everything will be fine which it probably will be in one way or another.

Just to take an overview of the events : ( I beg forgiveness for minor inaccuracies )

Autumn 2008 GM in light of its own horrendous losses announce that Saab and Hummer will be sold or closed. The same goes for Saturn and Pontiac announced later does not even get the chance.
Hummer - who the hell is going to buy that in todays climate ( pun )
Saab - 20 years of losses - really ?

The Swedish government immediately announce a stimulant package for the Swedish auto industry........I do not believe anyone has seen it yet.

20th February 2009 - what a day - Saab Automobile AB files for reconstruction in the Swedish courts. I am never quite sure whether Jan Åke pulled the rug from under GM or not. They seemed somewhat surprised.

Rescue Saab. Com became a focal point for Saab enthusiasts worldwide. Quickly 12000 people from all over the world writing in different languages gathered together on one site ( I registered twice ).
T shirts, posters etc. etc. with slogans that I cannot remember became available. I have to say that I have never seen anyone wearing a T shirt or a set up a poster..
If this had been France or Germany or Spain the workers would have been taking to the streets in mass protest dumping car parts to block the traffic........No this is Sweden.

There are now over 17000 people registered on Rescue Saab.com
When you think about it, if those 17000 people who feel so passionately about the brand went out and ordered a Saab the company would have a healthier situation. Now thats what I call support. !!!

April, May, June - Lots of rumours as to who has been spied visiting the company. Groups of Chinese,men in suits, Koenigsegg.

Is this really the company that will charge to the rescue ?..somehow I am doubtful
Small boys trying to play big boys games ???

Actually I thought of buying Saab myself. For a number of years I have emptied my pockets of loose change in the evening and put the coins ( sometimes low denomination notes ) in a stone jar that sits behind the coffee machine on the kitchen work surface. I have always believed that eventually I will accrue an enormous sum that will allow me to retire early. The only problem is that when I need change in the morning for work I go to the jar and take the money out again.

Koenigsegg become the main actor in the play.

A little sports car company 3 hours drive from Trollhättan ( 2 if your name is Bård Eker ) that produces 20 cars a year and sells them for ZILLIONS.

Koenigsegg model lineup

Classic low volume sports car appearance - nothing special or even new.

CCX & CCXR ( There always seems to be an X or R in theses super car models ) What does CCX stand for ??? Crap Cortina ( got stuck on the X )
606 BHP
0 - 100 Kph in 3,2 sec............Wow that really is a supercar

OK time to sign off and go and do some " Business as Usual "

I will try and give this blogg thingy another go ( I am a blogg virgin and it felt extremely good the first time ) I enjoyed downloading some thoughts and perspective from the inside

One thing to remember and I am sure I will say it more than once.
Saab Automobile is a great company with great people fighting for survival
We don't need the shit and drivel that the so - called analysts and one track tabloids plaster the papers with to sell a few extra copies.



Blogg again soon

No comments:

Post a Comment